Total Pageviews

Monday, July 29, 2013

Epilogue by Candlelight . . .

"And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi,
Let me now go to the field,
and glean ears of corn after him
in whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter." 
Ruth2:2 KJV


I've really enjoyed the epilogues by candlelight each evening during Ireland Yearly Meeting this last week. I missed it Wednesday night, but made it Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings. It was so good Saturday night to have so many young adult Friends attend.

So what is an 'epilogue' you're asking. It was a time of 'silent' or 'expectant' worship by attenders, of the Yearly Meeting, which was held after the days business and activities had concluded.

Thursday and Saturday nights we gathered in a small room on the second floor of St. John's College in a circle in the dark with a single lit candle in the middle of the room on the floor. Friday night we gathered inside the Cork Meeting Room with a single lit candle on a table in the middle of the Meeting Room.

Friday evening at Cork Meeting House
Friday night one Friend shared the story of Jesus feeding the 5,000 and a bit of a different twist on where all that food came from and another shared about the first time he came to Cork and the sign he saw 'Christian Interior Decorator.' The thought popped into my mind to get my paper and pen out to jot them down, but I stopped myself . . . it really didn't feel right to do that. Did I mention that I was sitting right next to the Clerk of the Yearly Meeting???

Why did I go? Did I want/need that quiet time? Did I feel a need to be around other Friends? Did I need to experience that kind of gathering of Friends with those who practice 'un-programed' worship all the time? Did I need to be a part of something a bit different than what I'm use to? I did want to be with my Irish Friends and experience all that Ireland Yearly Meeting had to offer.

I don't know if it was just the un-programed worship, the gathering of Friends, the atmosphere, the vocal or musical ministry that was offered or what . . . but what ever it was I liked the way it felt, the way it made me feel.

We gathered in silence . . . we listened and waited. Some vocal ministry and singing were shared from the silence. The epilogue lasted somewhere between 20-30 minutes each evening and was closed with extending the right hand of fellowship - around the circle. What a great feeling that is!

Each night I walked back to Deans Hall with a different group of Friends - some I knew and some I hadn't really met before. Sometimes conversation, sometimes we walked in silence . . .

I'm not quite sure why I was drawn to the epilogues by candlelight when I first read the schedule for Yearly Meeting, but I was . . . and so glad that I went to them. I may not have shared any thoughts out loud, but I enjoyed the time of sitting in the silent gathering of Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment