Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Bible for Ireland . . .

“And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi,
Let me now go to the field,
and glean ears of corn after him
in whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter.”
Ruth 2:2 KJV


OK, I was trying to decide which Bible I should pack and take with me to Ireland. And wondering since this seemed to be a difficult decision, if that meant that I might have too many Bibles . . . not sure that is possible but a question that I just might have to pose to my ‘almost Godfather, The Reverend Uncle John.’ Much like when I asked him about Quakers back when I was in college.

Well, my Bible issue was resolved five weeks ago, when I went in to talk with Pastor Sue to see about getting a few minutes to speak during worship that Sunday - which happened to be Father's Day and the day before our Vacation Bible School began, so already a full worship service which is why I needed to talk with her. I needed to be able to share with the members of Mooresville Friends Meeting how I planned to keep in touch with them while in Ireland. This was something that I wasn’t just going to be able to get up, unannounced, and speak about during worship – it needed to be ‘scheduled,’ if you know what I mean. I was hoping for just a minute or two and she gave me 3-4 minutes! She understood that this was/is an important piece in this journey, not specifically for me but for the members of Mooresville Friends, and during our conversation she understood why it had to be that Sunday.

OK, so getting back to choosing a Bible to take with me to Ireland . . .
After our conversation, Pastor Sue gave me a 'goodie bag' (something she does for different reasons), with instructions to look through it in private . . . a bit of a scary thought there. I asked if there was any chocolate in it, as it I knew it would melt as soon as I put it in my car. She said, not this time! So I left and went over to the Library, across the street from the Meeting to get online. Before I got out of my car, I took a few minutes to look inside the bag . . . one of the items in the bag was a Women’s Study Bible.

 
Question/problem solved! I knew instantly this Bible would be the one going with me to Ireland! I've never had a study Bible before, but I had been looking at them the last year or so – with no clear direction which one, if any, I should get. I’m now looking forward to checking out all the 'extra' pages and notes it has.
So, I now have a new Bible to take with me, a bit smaller than my other Bibles, which was one of the things I was considering when looking at the ones I already had. 

The decision as to which Bible to take with me to Ireland was something that I was dealing with personally and not something that I had mentioned to anyone. Likewise, I had not mentioned to anyone that I had been looking at study Bibles. Amazing how things work out sometimes, isn’t it?

Just wondering, do you have a 'special' or 'favorite' Bible? What makes it stand out from others that you might have? Is it the version? size? color? who gave it to you? OR maybe when it was given to you?

I just realized, reading back over this, that I've mentioned two Pastors in this posting . . . one from my early childhood who is a very close family member and the other my current Pastor . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a nice Bible. Enjoy.
Liz

I SHALL FIND GRACE said...

Thanks, Liz.

Unknown said...

This Bible will be something that you will cherish. My favorite Bible is one I received for my birthday from my family when my girls were very young. It has been with me through many trying times and has LOTS of notes written in it pertinent to just me.

Anonymous said...

I really like the NIV Study Bible I gave Mom back in the '80s, but lately I've used a newer version in LARGE PRINT. She also had a nice Women's Study Bible my sister-in-law had given her, so I gave it back to Dottie once Mom was gone.
Susan J

Anonymous said...

i like to memorize scripture from my King James. i have been using The Ryrie Study Bible New American Standard cause it has lots of study helps and a plan to read the bible in a year that is much easier than most

Post a Comment