Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 25, 2013

An Irish Rainbow . . .

"And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi,
Let me now go to the field,
and glean ears of corn after him
in whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter."
Ruth 2:2 KJV

It rained yesterday afternoon as we were driving down to Glendalough, and a comment was made among us that maybe we'd see a rainbow . . . an Irish rainbow.

The rain ceased and as we arrived at Glendalough, I looked out my window and there it was . . . an Irish rainbow! I called everyone's attention to the rainbow and Margaret stopped the van so we could get our cameras and take pictures.

As I laid down to sleep last night and thought back on all we had seen, done and experienced yesterday, I knew I had two ideas I could blog about, but no clear words were coming to me. And then, the image of that rainbow became so vivid in my mind! But what was it about a rainbow, an Irish rainbow and ministry? I got up out of my bed, turned on the light and got out paper and pen - meaning only to jot down the quick thought and the next thing I knew, I had filled both the front and back sides of a sheet of notebook paper, and it was now 1:30am . . . time for bed.

The scripture that filled my head was one I had learned so well back when I was in junior/senior high school and a member of Saint Joseph Assembly #78 International Order of Rainbow for Girls (a youth group affiliated with the Free Masons): " I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth."   Genesis 13:9 KJV.

A rainbow . . . a simple little reminder to us from God . . . a blessing, a sign of hope, bringing smiles to our faces and our hearts, joyful and uplifting.

Yesterday morning we visited Kilmainham Gaol prison in Dublin and heard stories of young and old alike and their deaths. In the afternoon we traveled down to Glendalough and a rainbow appeared to us. A rainbow - a reminder from God of His promise to us. At Glendalough, we walked through the cemetery and saw the old and not so old grave markers and the ruins of buildings and then walked along a trail . . . stopping to reflect along the way and to take in God's creation as He laid it before us.

I can't help but to be drawn to the rainbow that God sent to us between these two stops on our journey yesterday . . . His simple reminder to us that He is present with us on this journey, a sign that He hears us, He is guiding us, He is protecting us, He is giving us hope and a simple reminder that He won't give us any more than we can handle . . . and we aren't alone.

I could have waited until morning to try and write this, but afraid I might forget - I got up out of bed, intending to only jot down the thought about the rainbow.

The ministry, it's here, in and among this small group of pilgrims, as we journey together - exploring what God has planned for us to experience - together and as individuals - as we walk, ride, eat, share with each other and in our quiet times alone. The ministry of yesterday afternoon - the sharing of the Irish rainbow, God's simple gift to us . . . a reminder of His promise.

So, next time you see a rainbow in the sky, wherever you are, take a few minutes to think about what it is that God is trying to remind you of . . . and then thank Him for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment