Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Cups of Tea . . .

"And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi,
Let me now go to the field,
and glean ears of corn after him in
whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter."
Ruth 2:2   KJV

One of the 'ministries' that I have really enjoyed here in Ireland is that which happens over a cup (or more) of tea. Yes, ministry over cups of tea! No one had to twist my arm or tell me twice, I love my tea, hot or cold and usually with sugar, but have learned to also enjoy a cup of hot tea with milk.

Teacups and biscuits on table at
Cork Meeting House - Cork, Ireland
During Ireland Yearly Meeting sessions there were breaks mid-morning for coffee and tea, with assorted biscuits, of course. There were also breaks mid-afternoon and in the  evening for coffee, tea and biscuits. Warning . . . they use VERY hot water, and they certainly love their tea time!

Since we left Ireland Yearly Meeting Sunday morning we have had many more opportunities to share cups of tea . . . when it's been just us, with meals and when we've met with individuals and groups for conversations about the ministries that they're doing.

The conversations have been amazing, light at times and very deep at other times - a good mix. The conversations have been educational, fun, informative and serious. The cup of tea sometimes helps the conversation along.

Teapot on building in downtown
Derry, Northern Ireland
So what is it? The ministry isn't the cup of tea. The ministry is what happens around the cups of tea. There seems at times to be a bit of a ritual about it all, OK, I know Quakers aren't into rituals, but it's there - and other times not. It's preparing for the tea, preparing the tea, setting up the room, setting out the cups and saucers, and setting out the biscuits. It's within the conversations that arise.

It's a time for a bit of socializing. It was a nice way to break up the sessions during Yearly Meeting and a nice way to wind down in the evening before heading to the epilogue. It's also a bit relaxing . . . to sip a cup of tea over conversation.

Sometimes our conversations have been planned but many times they have just happened . . . over a cup of tea!





2 comments:

Susan Feix said...

Luanne,
Your observations about tea and the rituals surrounding it takes me back to my childhood and family gatherings at my Grandmother's house. We have all gotten so busy that we have forgotten how to just be together and talk to one another. In speaking to one another without distractions we have to listen and isn't that a wondrous skill! I know you will miss your new found friends as well as Ireland and I know this has been the chance of a lifetime for you, I am so glad you have had this wonderful experience. Bless you.

Kristin Lord said...

Ah, tea... The differences between Quakers in country A and country B so often boil down (so to speak) to the choice in beverages and how they are served.

Post a Comment