Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Severe Weather Ministry . . .

"And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi,
Let me now go to the field,
and glean ears of corn after him
In whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter."
Ruth 2:2  KJV


Sunday night as I sat in the silence, during a worship group I attend, I couldn't shake thoughts of the severe storms that had passed through Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio that afternoon. Although I was feeling very blessed that I was OK my thoughts weren't going  there, my thoughts were going in a different direction. It wasn't long before I began thinking of the ministry that I had been a part of that afternoon. After a bit the thought of blogging about it came to mind and then ideas of what to write started filling my head. I resisted getting a piece of scrap paper and a pen out of my pocket while I was there, putting off writing about it until I got home.
 

During the storm,
looking to the southwest
from the backdoor
of the church
For several days the news media had warned us of the severe storms, which would likely spawn tornados, that would hit Indiana on Sunday. And hit Indiana it did, but only after doing considerable damage in Illinois first. The heavy rain, hail, strong winds and tornados hit Indiana - from north to south and from west to the east.
 
Before and during the storm F/friends and family members were on Facebook, sharing information on the storm. They offered support and encouragement to one another. Encouraging each other to stay safe and get to a safe place. A lot of virtual hugs were sent as were prayers. Some reported that they were leaving one location and heading to another. While others posted that they had or were going down to their basements, some with family and pets. Some commenting about noises they were hearing around them.
 
After the storm, F/friends and family members still on Facebook, now reporting on damage or lack of damage in their area. Checking up on F/friends and family members. Venturing outside and taking pictures and sharing them . . . pictures of damage, the sky and rainbows.
 
And the F/friends and family members weren't always nearby . . . one of my Friends in another country posted a comment on her Facebook page, before the storms hit, 'Praying for all of our friends in the central states as the storms settle in; stay warm.' A Guiding Friend of in Canada saw a picture I posted on my Facebook page, after the storms, and asked how close the storms were to me.
 
After the storm passed -
looking west from the
backdoor of the Church
After the storms had passed, I sent an email out to four of my Scouiting Friends who also live in Indiana, just to check in with them and see if they were OK and to let them know I was OK. Concern for two who live in and near one of the towns hit hard by at least one tornado. The other two Scouting Friends live much closer to me, concern for them as well. Relief as replies came in from these Scouting Friends that all was well with them, no damage. One reported that he was just three miles from where a tornado struck and another had lost their power for an hour with some in his area still without power late Monday afternoon.
 
A comment made by an Indiana resident during the 11pm TV newscast Sunday evening was of gratitude for his neighbors . . . neighbors who came by after the storm had passed checking on their neighbors and seeing who might need help.
 
I'm feeling blessed that I was in a safe place as the storms passed through the area, that we didn't have any damage at our house and that my family and F/friends are all safe.
 
Sending prayers to those who suffered a loss, small or large and to those who lost family members - I have heard six died in Illinois and two died in Michigan.

The ministry here is in the reaching out to each other before, during and after the severe weather. It's the caring, concern, prayers, words of support and encouragement that are passed along from one to another - sometimes one-on-one and sometimes from one person to an unknown group. This kinda ministry is such an amazing blessing to all involved.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment