Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 23, 2013

I'm Thankful For . . .


"And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi,
Let me now go to the field,
and glean ears of corn after him
In whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter."
Ruth 2:2  KJV

Thanksgiving is now just a few days away and as I've thought about it this last week, I couldn't help but think that something seemed to be missing . . .

Then it hit me, for the last several years one of my friends would post one thing that she was 'thankful for'  on her Facebook page every day in November. I realized that she hasn't done it this year . . . and I've missed it. Seeing her posts got me to think about what I was most thankful for that day, and I would post that to my page. It was always interesting to read the variety of things we were thankful for. Sometimes the list continued beyond November 30th.

A couple of days ago, I thought maybe I would blog about what I'm thankful for this year instead. So, here I go, here's my list, in no particular order, of things that 'I'm thankful for . . . '
 
2nd Jena Family Reunion 2012
I'm thankful for my family - including my parents, brothers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws, children, and my granddaughter . . . including 'all those aunts, uncles and cousins,' you know the ones I'm talking about here - the ones that I have always called my aunt, uncle or cousin, that are actually my mom & dad's cousins and those friends of the family that aren't related to me in the least and their kids! I was taught to 'respect my elders' as a child, so calling them 'aunt and uncle' was a sign of respect. It would have been weird to call Aunt Mary & Uncle Weir, Auntie Corinne & Uncle Lee, Auntie Elsie Ann & Uncle Paul and Auntie Pearl & Uncle Walt anything but aunt & uncle.

I'm thankful for freedom of religion . . . my Meeting/Church - the place I go to worship God, to share my faith and engage in fellowship with Friends. That I have a choice of where and how I worship and with whom I worship.

I'm thankful for the amazing opportunities I've been blessed with this year to gather with Friends (I'm talking Quakers here), new and old, for worship, fellowship, conversation, sharing, camping and travel . . .

· Friends Committee on Scouting and all my Scouting/Guiding Friends. For the opportunities that we have to get together for our annual meetings, and through emails, Facebook, phone calls and postal mail. For their support, guidance and Friendships over the years. For their dedication and commitment to our Young Friends and the youth around the world. You're all such a blessing to the Scouting & Guiding programs! HUGS all around!

· Friends World Committee for Consultation, Section of the Americas and the opportunity to be able to speak in front of the Section and members of the Central Committee - to publicly thank the three translators who took our US program materials and translated them into Spanish for us and the Friend in Jamaica who inspired us to write a new curriculum that we took global. To present one of our Scouting Friends with the Friends Emblem award for his service. I so enjoyed surprising these Friends! And then to have the opportunity to host a small group, the chance for us to talk with other Friends about what it is that we do and to answer their questions.

· Quaker Haven Camp - I'm thankful just to be able to be able to go up to Quaker Haven and enjoy the beauty that God has blessed us with. An added bonus is the opportunity to be able to 'serve' as a counselor and work with the campers, CIT's, the other counselors & the directors for a week in the summer. The opportunity to worship with Friends at Dewart Meeting from time to time. The opportunity to attend the USFW Fall Retreat with Friends from other Meetings/Yearly Meetings. And I can't leave out the QH staff . . . they take such good care of us and are such a blessing to all who come to QH. Thanks!

· To have been able to be a part of USFWI/QMI Triennial (United Society of Friends Women International/Quaker Men International) and help with registration. I had also been asked to work with the elementary aged children, but God seemed to have other plans for me! I've said it before 'God has a plan for you and me . . .' So, instead I did more registration and some hospitality of sorts. I didn't mind. I really enjoyed hanging out at the registration table answering questions and standing at the door to the dinning room taking meal tickets . . . I met so many new Friends this way! I was blessed over and over each day by the Friends I came into contact with and the conversations we had. And I made a lot of new Friends that weekend . . . including several from Kenya.

· Western Yearly Meeting - it's always a blessing to gather as a Yearly Meeting for worship, fellowship and to share and learn from one another. And a blessing to have some traveling Friends return from other Yearly Meetings and to have our missionary Friends stop by and share what's going on.

·  Now for the biggie, and shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, the opportunity I had to 'travel in the ministry' on a Pilgrimage to Ireland/Northern Ireland with and among Friends for two weeks! What a blessing this was for me . . . I still wish I didn't have to leave and come home when I did, but someone told me I had to, it was time. The Irish Friends, the un-programed worship opportunities, the fellowship, the 'tea & biscuits,' the shared meals, the sites, the stories, the whole of the experience . . . WOW! I'm thankful and most grateful to the Friend who shared this on her Facebook page, way back on February 1st. I'm thankful to the Friend who gave me so much of her time to help me be able to go. I'm thankful to the Friend who shared her flight information with me so that I could get on the same flights over and back with her and another Friend and for answering all my questions. I'm thankful to have had the opportunity to spend the time traveling among the Irish Friends with the other Friends on the Pilgrimage and getting to know each of them, and the Friendships that I've made. I'm blessed! I'm thankful to all the Irish Friends I met along that journey - for their Friendliness, their love, their support, the conversations we shared and for their listening ears. I'm even thankful for the rain that kept us on our toes! And thankful that God, along with our guide/leader, kept us safe during our travels - especially while in Northern Ireland.

I'm thankful for the gifts and talents that God has given to me, that I may share with those around me . . . even if I'm not sure which are gifts from the Spirit and which are natural gifts and talents.

I'm thankful for my fabric stash . . . and all the possibilities it holds! Gifts for family and F/friends as well as items for the Church Bazaar. Some of that stash was used to make the folded star hot pads, small totes/gift bags and luggage tags that I put in the Market Place during Ireland Yearly Meeting this summer. And speaking of luggage tags . . . I made and gave away about 75 of them this year - to my Scouting Friends, the girls in my cabin at Quaker Haven, the Friends I was on the Pilgrimage with and other Friends I met this summer.
From my front flowerbed

I'm thankful 'for the beauty of the earth!' You didn't think I could do this list without including at least part of one song now, did you? Thankful for all of the wonders that God has given us to look upon and be in awe over. Amazing!
 
I'm thankful that I have the opportunity to vote, although we didn't have anything to vote on around here this year. I'm thankful to have the opportunity to be able to voice my opinion.

I'm thankful for the sweet innocence of children! Their questions, their unconditional love and their innocence.

I'm thankful for the Weekday Religious Education program - for the awesome opportunity that we have here in Morgan County to spend time with so many of the 3rd & 4th graders each week and share with them about God - His unconditional love for them, His creation and His Holy Word - through scriptures, stories and songs. Thankful that I am able to be a part of this program - as an assistant teacher in the classrooms, as an elected Director on the Board and as the representative from my Meeting to the Board.

I'm thankful for laughter! And for all my F/friends and family that make me laugh. Thanks!

I'm thankful for clothes, especially those that keep me warm and dry especially during a week like what we've had this week.

I'm thankful for food, that nourishes my body.

I'm thankful for my good health and the good health of my family.

I'm thankful for my home, shelter, a safe place to live and raise my family.

I'm thankful for my neighbors, their friendly greetings, their smiles and their helping hands from time to time.

I'm thankful for those who have made mistakes and are willing to make them right . . . and those that are willing to keep trying until they do.

I'm thankful for all the 'little things' that come my way!

I'm thankful for technology . . . that allows me to communicate with F/friends and family all over the world with such ease, OK most of the time, so that we can keep in touch with each other and share those funny stories & pictures and news.

I'm thankful for Scouting & Guiding programs. For all the youth that are a part of these programs and for all the adults who so unselfishly give of their time to teach them how to be good leaders and citizens. And for all my Girl Scout and Cub/Boy Scout friends.

And I'm thankful for all my F/friends! Your support and friendships mean a lot to me, too!

I'm thankful that I'm not too old to learn and experience new things! I've learned a lot of new things this year, including this blog. I got a passport and traveled overseas for the first time in my life . . . I never thought I would have such an opportunity!

I'm thankful! I'm blessed! I'm overwhelmed!

So, now it's your turn . . 
 
Sunset at Quaker Haven Camp
Do you take time daily, weekly or monthly to pause and think about all you have to be thankful for? Or do you just stop and think about it once a year, on Thanksgiving Day? Or only on occasion when something happens that makes you pause and give thanks?

What are you thankful for today? This week? This month? This year? Have you taken time to stop and thank God for all He has given you?

Why not stop right now and give thanks to God for all your blessings?










No comments:

Post a Comment