Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 24, 2013

'He's Still Working on Me . . .'

"And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi,
Let me now go to the field,
and glean ears of corn after him
In whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter."
Ruth 2:2  KJV
 
During Meeting for worship this morning at least two Friends made the comment "He's still working on me."  I thought at the time a rather odd comment to make, but this very quickly brought to my mind one of the songs, yes another post about a song, we sing with our Weekday Religious Education (WRE) classes:
 
'He's still workin' on me
To make me what I ought to be
It took Him just a week to make
The moon and the stars
The sun and the earth
And Jupiter and Mars
How loving and patient He must be
He's still workin' on me,
He's still workin' on me!'
 
Every time we sing this in our WRE classes it makes me stop and think about me, personally. To know that God is still working on me - this makes me feel good about who I am and where I am.
 
During class, as we sing this song, I point to myself when I sing the word 'me.' This usually gets questioning looks from at least some of the children . . . and occasionally some smiles from them! I'm willing to let the children know that God is still working on me and my hope is that this will let them know that God is also still working on them, too! Showing them that no matter how old we are God is always working on us, that He is always with us. For some of the children in our classes this is huge, as so many of them come from homes and families where they feel that no one cares about them . . . that everyone has given up on them.
 
To know that God only spent a week, OK, only six days, creating this wonderful world that we live in seems amazing! There's so much that He created. But to know that He is 'still working on me,' that He is spending so much time on me, on each one of us . . . that's amazing! To me this just shows me how much He loves me, loves us. That He cares so deeply for each and every one of us. That He's still working on each one of us - making sure that we are all that we can be, that we have all the right gifts and talents, that we have everything we need to do His work here on earth.
 
This year I think God has put in a bit of overtime on me . . .
 
As He prepared me in so many ways to go on the Pilgrimage to Ireland/Northern Ireland this summer;
As I worked with the 2013 BSA National Jamboree Faith & Beliefs committee;
As I worked to help coordinate and keep other Scouting Friends up to date with what was going on with the BSA National Jamboree - in regards to the Friends display and approving Friends in various staffing positions;
As I served as a counselor up at Quaker Haven Camp;
As I served during USFWI/QMI Triennial in several areas;
As I learned to serve as a District Unit Commissioner for the Boy Scouts;
As I served as the archery range officer during Cub Scout Day Camp and again during the Fall 'Shoot-O-Ree';
As I'm now learning to serve as a District Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner;
As I work with a leader from one of my Cub Scout Packs on their re-charter;
As I traveled with and among Friends in Ireland and Northern Ireland;
As I continue to try to make sense of those 'little scraps,' the little bits and pieces, that I learned while on the Pilgrimage;
As I work on sharing what I saw, learned and experienced on the Pilgrimage;
As I work on my quilting/sewing projects - getting closer to maybe perfecting some skills and in learning or better understanding others;
As I helped make apple butter at Church;
As I serve as an assistant teacher, District Director and Representative from my Meeting to the Weekday Religious Education Program and Board;
As I continue to serve as a wife, mother, sister, niece, cousin, daughter-in-law and sister-in-law;
As I learn to serve as a grandmother and great-aunt;
As I learn to let go of some responsibilities in order to begin working on others, OR to give other responsibilities more time OR to just let go and move on;
As I continue to serve as a F/friend;
As I continue to grow in my faith and share it with others;
As I work through seeing and understanding what I do as 'ministries;’ and
As He helps guide my words for my blog posts.
 
Some of the above has not been easy to do, or not do. But I've done or am doing them. And I feel truly blessed for all of the opportunities that God has given me to serve Him and others around me.
 
Yes, God's still working on me and I'm so glad He's still with me each and every day and that He hasn't given up on me!
 
One of these days . . . I hope that I will hear Him say to me "Well done, good and faithful servant!" Matthew 25:21
 
Feeling rather blessed!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment