Total Pageviews

Friday, October 31, 2014

"V" is for Vespers . . .

"And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi,
Let me now go to the field,
and glean ears of corn after him
In whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter."
Ruth 2:2  KJV

Waterfall in the
Fern Garden
Blarney Castle, Ireland
 
 
 
"V" is for Vespers . . . Finding 'a definition' for vespers, one that said what I was thinking was rather difficult. I was surprised, surprised that I wasn't able to find the words to 'define' what I had in my head, but was unable to put into words. I finally found an online thesaurus with some words that fit . . . and a lot more words that didn't fit. These are the ones that fit: a late afternoon or evening worship or prayer service; evening devotions; morning devotions; prayer meeting; public service.

Chapel lesson
Quaker Haven Camp
When I hear someone say vespers; my mind goes to that quite prayerful time in the evenings; the summer evenings when I was a kid down at Church Camp (pre-Quaker days). Vespers was always an ALL camp activity - there might be scripture(s) read, a story or message of some sort given, singing (lots of singing) and quite time to sit and reflect on the day. One of the counselors would have a guitar and we sang softly.
 
 

Interns leading singing
Quaker Haven Camp
Now, as an adult and Quaker, when I'm up at Quaker Haven Camp, as a counselor, we have chapel time and cabin devotions (morning & evening). During chapel time we have scripture(s) read, a story or message, singing (tons of singing). BUT the singing is more screaming . . . LOUDLY . . . accompanied by lots of LOUD electric guitar music, jumping up & down and lots of hand motions. Sometimes the mirrored ball is lit-up and spinning! It hurts my ears. I have lost or nearly lost my voice by the end of the week. I get headaches. It's so LOUD!
 
So, vespers for me, is a quite devotional time - usually shared with others. A devotional time spent outside where I can sit and enjoy the beauty of God's creation . . . catching an amazing sunrise or sunset is an added bonus!
 
Many of you know that I do a lot of work with Scouts, both Girl Scouts and Cub/Boy Scouts, and Scouts have vespers when they're out camping - especially when camping on the weekends. The Boy Scouts most often will close out their evening campfires with the "Scout's Vespers" song (sung to the tune of "Oh Christmas Tree"):
 
 "Softly falls the light of day,
As our campfire fades away
Silently, each Scout should ask
have I done my daily task?
Have I kept my honor bright?
Can I guiltless sleep tonight?
O, have I done and have I dared
Everything to be prepared?"
 
Corrymeela Community
Northern Ireland
Several years ago I attended the funeral for my District Executive, Art, and at the end of the 'normal' memorial service, Scouts & Scouters (youth & adults) present were asked to form a circle . . . there were so many that we encircled the entire Sanctuary (and it was a big one) and we were still standing shoulder-to-shoulder. We had an opportunity to share stories about times with Art, much like a Quaker memorial service, after which there was a bit of silence and then all the Scouts & Scouters joined in singing "Scout Vespers." I mentioned this to some of my Girl Scout friends, wondering if Girl Scouts had a similar service - none had heard of any.
 
Quaker Haven Camp
Fast forward a couple of years . . . and a former Cubmaster, Woody, (for a Pack I worked with) died - his wife, Sharon, a Girl Scout leader in my Service Unit. A mutual Girl Scout friend gave me a call and said that Sharon asked her to call me, Sharon wanted a Scout memorial service for Woody . . . and she wanted me to do it! Oh my! Well, I did it, for Sharon and their two children. I was surprised how many Scouts & Scouters were there, both from Boy Scouts & Girl Scouts . . . heavy on the Girl Scouts! Their son stood next to me in the circle, there was a lot of sharing and then I led the group in singing the "Scout's Vespers." We broke the circle and returned to our seats. The Masons went up front with all their ceremonial items and did their memorial. Afterwards, Sharon came up to me and thanked me for doing the Scout memorial for Woody . . . she and the kids were extremely touched . . . and she said it was more moving and meaningful to them than the Masonic ritualistic service. Why, because it was so simplistic and from the heart . . . not reading words from a book.
 
Cork Meeting House
Cork, Ireland
One doesn't need to be at camp to experience vespers, or be in the outdoors . . . I suppose I could say that I experience/participated in Quaker vespers last summer when I attended the Epilogs by Candlelight during Ireland Yearly Meeting and our last night in Dublin, before returning to the States, with a couple of the Friends I had been on the journey with the last two weeks . . . in a hotel room.

What does the word vespers mean to you? Have you attended/participated in vespers? What draws you to attend/participate in vespers?
 
Sunset
Quaker Haven Camp
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Time for some "V" recipes! I was surprised to find 5 recipes in my mom's recipe box that began with the letter "V." So, here's what I've picked out to share: (Poor Man's) Veal Parmigiana, OK I did mess with the name of this one just a bit, and the second one is Vanilla Cookies another cookie press recipe, but I expect that you could do these as a drop cookie if you don't have a cookie press . . . my mom used the cookie press for quite a few of the Christmas Cookies that she always made.

Veal Parmigiana, Poor Man's
(4 servings)
1 pound ground veal, fat trimmed
½ cup plain low fat yogurt
2 Tablespoons Worchester sauce
1 Tablespoon dried onion flakes OR 3/8 teaspoon Garlic
1 Tablespoon ground paprika
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups sliced mushrooms

Preheat oven to 475˚F.

Combine ingredients, except mushrooms. Shape into four “cutlets.” Arrange on a baking tray, in a single layer; surround with mushrooms.

Bake in preheated oven without turning 8 to 10 minutes each side.


Vanilla Cookies (Cookie Press)
(Makes 4 dozen cookies)
½ cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, beaten light
1 Tablespoon cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
 ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour, sifted   
2 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
 
Preheat oven to 400˚ F.  Ungreased cookie sheets.
 
Cream shortening and sugar thoroughly. Add eggs, cream and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture, mix well. Fill cookie press. Form cookies. Decorate as desired.
 
Bake at 400˚F.  for 8-10 minutes.
 
Use disk of your choice.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like this
is, is was great, I do enjoyed vespers when I went to camp.

Post a Comment