Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 11, 2014

"U" is for Ukulele . . .

"And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi,
Let me now go to the field,
and glean ears of corn after him
In whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter."
Ruth 2:2  KJV

"U" is for Ukulele . . . now give me a chance here before you all think I've gone a bit off my rocker here.

My Ukulele
One of my Scouting Friends posted on Friends Committee on Scouting's Facebook page, back in February, that she had started a 'Quaker Ukulele Collective' at her Meeting for the Tweens and Teens Group. Now doesn't that sound like loads of fun???? I thought so! Part of what she posted was a flier, as they were seeking more Ukuleles so that there would be enough for each of the tween/teens to take home to practice on during the week. I so wanted one!!!

I went back and found her original post for some of the details: they meet on Sunday's or First Day, eat donuts, talk about Quakerly topics (queries & testimonies) and about life. The tweens & teens are teaching themselves to play . . . and the adults or "Friendly Adult Visitors" are there as a resource that the tweens & teens can choose to engage with (or not). There are no "teachers" - just ukuleles, a stack of songbooks and a few pictures showing the cords. I liked the one comment "Learning is experiential, with the tweens & teens figuring out cords, trying out different ways to strum, and teaching one another new skills as they figure them out themselves."

OK, seriously now . . . I was sold, I so wanted to get myself a Ukulele and learn to play! I've NEVER played a stringed instrument before - spent a couple of years (in Elementary School) learning to play the piano - I enjoyed it, but my teacher was a High School student and not so good; in 4th or 5th grade we played recorders in music class; in college I was a member of the 'Johnson Complex Marching Kazoo Band' yep,  I played the Kazoo for four years  . . . and I still have that Kazoo - I won't tell you how long ago that was; and I've been a member of the Mooresville Friends Meetings Bell Choir, also referred to as the 'Ding-A-Lings' for about four years now. So, I can read music  . . .

While I was thinking about buying a Ukulele my thought was that maybe I'd be able to play some short little song during the talent show up at Quaker Haven Camp when I was up at Adventure Camp, the week of July 6th. BUT could I teach myself how to play something that would be appropriate in time??

So in early May I just couldn't resist any longer . . . I broke down and went online and purchased a Ukulele! It arrived on my front porch a few days later. I decided to order a 'kit' that included the soprano Ukulele, a gig bag and a tuner. I was all set to go!

I figured out how to use the tuner, to tune it, really quickly and spent the first few days trying to figure out some of the cords and this has been the hardest part for me - my fingers just don't want to get in those twisted configurations! Once I had played around with it for a few days I started to look for some music. I had looked at one of the music stores, but I didn't find any books that I 'liked' enough songs in or that had enough songs in it that I thought I'd be able to play, so I became a bit discouraged. Then I was told that I could find lots of free sheet music for Ukulele's online . . . so I went searching, and it was true! I've downloaded way too many songs, most of which I've found that I can't get my fingers to do the chords, yet. And yes, there were a couple that I would consider playing up at Quaker Haven, in front of the 5th & 6th grade campers.

I practiced, and practiced, and practiced . . . the fingertips of my middle three fingers on my left hand became really sore and I became discouraged when they were so sore that I couldn't practice. I was getting pretty good with one song, so I added a second song in . . . just a couple of weeks before camp! YIKES!!!!!!! What was I thinking?????

I took my Ukulele and music up to camp with me and spent a bit of time practicing in my cabin, during 'Free Time' when my campers were out and about in camp. Tuesday afternoon I got caught by a couple of girls when they came back to the cabin. They sat down and encouraged me to continue practicing a bit longer. They asked if I was going to play in the Talent Show Wednesday night, and I said I was thinking about it . . . they said "Do it!" So, I signed up. How could I resist that???

Wednesday night the eight girls in my cabin and our CIT (Counselor In Training) did a really cute skit that they had made up and practiced. And I got my turn to show off my new talent, too. After I had been introduced I told them that I was "Coming out of the closet." There were a lot of strange looks and gasps . . . then I explained that this was the first time I had played my Ukulele in front of anyone, except for a couple of the girls in my cabin that caught me trying to practice. Laughter rang throughout the Chapel!
 
I played the two songs I had been practicing . . . "Amazing Grace" and "How Great Thou Art." Being as both of these are really short, I played them each twice. They applauded and my girls cheered for me! I was glad that I had been able to get through both songs without making any mistakes.

A 'selfie'
My next performance . . . well, it was exactly two months later and believe it or not . . . it was also in the Chapel up at Quaker Haven Camp! This time the Talent Show during the USFW (United Society of Friends Women) Fall Retreat. I had figured out how to play several other songs by then, but just before I went up to play I felt strongly lead to play "Amazing Grace" and "How Great Thou Art," again . . . so I did.
 
I now have at least nine different chords that I can play, which allows me to play about fifteen or so short songs. I haven't played in any more Talent Shows since last month, although I have been asked to play something at one of our Weekday Religious Education Board Meetings. Hummmmm, maybe I could take it an play a couple of the songs I know while riding on the WRE (Weekday Religious Education) float tomorrow afternoon in the Fall Foliage Festival Parade . . .
 
Kim - see you at FCS (Friends Committee on Scouting) Annual Meeting in March 2015 . . . Ukulele in hand!
 
So . . . does this mean I've joined music ministry now????
 


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
Recipes for "U" are not so easy to come by . . . so Upside Down Cake comes your way with a couple of variations for those that might not care for pineapple. The second one is a variation on one of my favorite cakes, Sugar Cream Cake, but the variation has a name that begins with the letter "U" Ugly Cake!


Upside Down Cake
3 Tablespoons margarine
3 Tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
1 (15 ounce) can pineapple
1 small box yellow cake mix (Jiffy - single layer size)

Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Grease 9 inch round cake tin.

Melt margarine and brown sugar in pan, add pineapple. Cover with cake mix.

Bake 45 minutes. Let stand 1 minute upside down to drain before removing pan.

Variation: use peaches or cherries instead of pineapple.


Ugly Cake
(also known as 'Sugar Cream Cake')
1 box yellow cake mix + ingredients needed to make cake

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/4 cup margarine
1 pound powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 325˚ F. Grease 9x13 inch  glass baking dish (no flour).
 
Mix cake mix according to package directions. Pour into greased baking dish.

Mix cream cheese, margarine and powdered sugar together. Spoon over cake batter.

Bake for 35-40 minutes. Turn out while hot and spread scrapings over cake.

Original Sugar Cream Cake - Mix cake mix with 1/2 cup melted margarine and 2 large eggs together well. Press in bottom of greased baking dish. Mix cream cheese, 2 large eggs and powdered sugar together until smooth. Pour over bottom layer. Bake at 325˚ F for 35-40 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.

This is super rich, but extremely yummy!!!









6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post was a hoot(enanny)! In terms of food, I am one of those people who believes that there is no such thing as an ugly cake. Tarte tatin is another upside down cake you probably enjoy, but the only recipes I know about are copyright-protected. As for me, I just got some of the last of the Ontario (Canada) Niagara peaches and nectarines for a pie, which I might pair with some California raspberries. It is Canadian Thanksgiving on Monday, and as an American living in Canada, that means I get two Thanksgivings. (We have gone out to dinner for American Thanksgiving in recent years because we have to work that day.) re the ukulele, my husband has one and has also enjoyed learning it. Not really anonymous as a poster, but your Friend Kristin from the alphabet blog project

I SHALL FIND GRACE said...

Kristin - I didn't get too far in reading your comment before I realized it was from you my Friend! I didn't give the Ugly Cake name . . . that's what I found online - when I was looking for another recipe yesterday - and when I read the recipe I knew it was really close to the Sugar Cream Cake recipe that my mom had made.

The Upside Down Cake is a recipe from her recipe file box - I'm not a fan of pineapple, but liked that this recipe gave several options for other fruits that could be used.

And Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to you and your family this weekend! Lucky you to celebrate Thanksgiving twice! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

like your blogs, keep them coming.

I SHALL FIND GRACE said...

Thanks, I'm glad you like my posts. And I do have more to write about . . . the Quaker Alphabet continues! :-)

Unknown said...

This made me smile - Muswell Hill had a Ukelele learning group who hired one of the rooms. Holding a Meeting for Worship for Business (Premises) the same night was a challenge - more so for the folkie in our midst who wanted to swap rooms!

Fun recipes too.

I SHALL FIND GRACE said...

Wendrie - I'm glad to hear that this post made you smile, my Friend! This has been a fun adventure for me. Hope to have more opportunities to share it a bit more publically . . . but I need to practice a bit more first. I've got one Christmas song right now, 'Silent Night' so I may see what opportunities come about that I might be able to play that. Will be taking it back up to Quaker Haven Camp with me in June & September next year for sure. Glad you liked the recipes . . . some posts they are more challenging than what I will write about for each letter!

Post a Comment