Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 29, 2014

"Q" is for Quilt/Quilting . . .

"And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi,
Let me now go to the field,
and glean ears of corn after him
In whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter."
Ruth 2:2  KJV

Frog Quilt - Made from
scraps of fabrics I used
to make Frogs for camp
(machine pieced, hand
appliqued & quilted)
I made this to use
when I go up to
Quaker Haven.
"Q" is for Quilting . . . Those that know me know that I've been quilting with Friends at Mooresville Friends Meeting for quite a few years. My first project was a couple of 9-Patch blocks, done in one of the adult Vacation Bible School classes we offered several years ago. The squares were hand-stitched together and hand quilted and I made into two pillows. The intent was to make one pillow with the two blocks . . . but I made two.
 
But . . . my very first quilting project was actually a baby quilt that I made back when I was in college - I embroidered all the squares, sewed them together, added batting and backing and tied it. It was meant as a gift for one of the girls in my residence hall, but it took a bit longer than I thought so I had to give her something else. It was then put away for about 10 years, until my oldest son was born May 2, 1987 and for my other three younger children. A bit simplistic, but my first quilting project. Served well in protecting my youngest daughter, during the tornado on Friday, April 19, 1996.
 

Small
zippered
tote
Our quilting group has meet at different times and in different locations around the Meeting over the years - in a Sunday School classroom, the basement and in the Friendship House. We've met in the evenings and on weekdays. Currently we have two groups meeting, a lot of the same Friends/quilters are in both groups, one group meets on Wednesday's from 9am-2pm in the Friendship House - on the first & third Wednesday's of the month, September through May, and every Wednesday June through August. The second group meets on the fourth Monday of each month from 6-8pm.


Some of the lanyards
I've made . . .
The Wednesday quilting group spends time working on personal projects as well as making items that we can sell at the USFW (United Society of Friends Women) Fall Bazaar each November. Members of the group also take turns volunteering to 'teach' a project to the group. During the summer months these projects are geared to items for the Bazaar. Projects have ranged from teaching different quilt blocks, dresses for young girls in Hattie, folded star hot pads  and various small/quick projects that can be completed during one quilting/sewing session.
 
Back in December, I think, we decided to do  a 'Fat Quarter Challenge' - several members of the group brought in different fabrics (that they had yardage of) and the members of the group present selected one as the 'challenge fabric.' The fabric was then cut into 'Fat Quarters' (approximately 18x22 inch pieces) and those wanting to participate paid a couple of dollars for their 'Fat Quarter.' We had several months in which to complete our project and then held a 'Show-and-Tell.' It was interesting to see how each member of the group used their 'Fat Quarter' and the variety of projects that were made - a coiled bowl, Sun Bonnet Sue quilt block, sewing machine cover/matching pin cushions, ornament (like folded star hot pads), a table runner, applique pillow and a quilt (the sashing between the blocks).
 
S'mitten's Quilt
My Challenge Fabric Project
I think you could easily say that I was the over achiever in the group - I made the S'mitten's quilt for my project. I found the pattern Monday evening, January 6th, went through my fabric stash on Tuesday morning, had all the pieces cut out and had fused all the mittens/cuffs on the nine blocks by Tuesday evening. By Wednesday afternoon I had the top finished. Thursday I cut the batting and backing and had my 'quilt sandwich' all put together and by Friday I got all the layers basted together and Saturday morning I began hand appliqueing the mittens. That was suppose to be the first week back to school after Christmas Vacation . . . and the weather was so bad that it ended up being week three of a two week Christmas Vacation! Then things got a bit busy and I haven't had time to finish all the appliqueing, yet . . . but I'm slowing getting it done. I think right now I've got about 19 mittens finished. Then I need to trace a mitten pattern around the outside border and stitch all that! I'm even thinking of adding a few buttons to it in the golden colored squares between the red sashing strips. Binding is red with white pin dots!
 
The Monday evening group is currently hand quilting a large quilt. The quilt top was pieced by one of the members of the Meeting and when completed it will be placed in the Fall Bazaar for sale. Not all those that come on Monday evening are working on this quilt - some have other personal projects that they bring and work on.

This is my 'Jelly Roll Challenge'
fabric - I've got two rolls of
this since they're only 20 strips.
In early August we're going to do a 'Jelly Roll Challenge!' That is to say we're going to all bring in a 'Jelly Roll' or the equivalent (a 'Jelly Roll' is 40 2 1/2 x 40-42 inch strips of fabric) and individually we're going to sew all those strips together and make quilt tops! We're looking to invite others to join us for a fun day of quilting together. There will be prizes along the way for various things - such as the first to 'rip out a seam' (or un-sew a seam), the first one done, the last one done . . . you get the idea. I have an idea as to what I might do with this quilt when I get it finished, but I'm going to wait and see what it looks like when I get it done. I found one of the blue prints in yardage last week at one of the fabric stores, so I got plenty of it to use for a nice wide border and maybe even binding.
 
Quilting is a craft, it's relaxing, it's a stress reliever and it's therapeutic. The conversations we have when we're together as a group is always good. We're always there to help each other out with questions and problems and looking for an easier way to do something. I often find myself turning to a quilting project when I'm working on one of my blog posts or when I get stuck while working on some sort of a project.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

OK, so since I'd rather spend my time quilting, and who doesn't, the recipe to go along with this post had to be something quick . . . love this lasagna! And, the bonus is - this is great with kids . . . don't have to fight those big thick heavy/hard to cut into bite size pieces for younger kids I found this recipe in a cooking magazine when my oldest son was a toddler and even though my kids are now 27, 24, 21 & 18 . . . this is still the lasagna I make - gotta think of my 18 month old granddaughter!
 
Quick Lasagna
(Serves 6)
SAUCE:
1 pound ground beef
1 (28 ounce) can spaghetti sauce
1 teaspoon oregano
1 Tablespoon minced onion
salt & pepper to taste
 
NOODLES:
1 pound rotini noodles
1 pint cottage cheese, small curd
1/2 pint sour cream
2 large eggs
4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
 
TOPPING:
4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese

Brown ground beef and drain. Add spaghetti sauce, oregano, onion, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
 
Cook noodles according to package directions and drain (might want to under cook just a bit). Mix together cottage  cheese, sour cream, eggs and cheese. Add to noodles.
 
Put a layer of meat sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 inch glass baking dish. Layer 1/2 of the noodle mixture, layer of meat sauce and last of the meat mixture.
 
Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes. Remove from oven and top with 4 ounces of mozzarella cheese. Return to oven for 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment