Total Pageviews

Friday, June 20, 2014

"P" is for People . . .

"And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi,
Let me now go to the field,
and glean ears of corn after him
In whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter."
Ruth 2:2  KJV
 
Friends Gathered . . .
in Christ
“P” is for People . . . or more specifically "A Great People to be Gathered: in Christ, in Community, for Mission" . . . the theme for Friends United Meeting (FUM) 2014 Triennial Session, June 11-15, at Indiana Wesleyan University in Marion, Indiana. The scripture for the gathering was from John 4:35b: "I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields. They are ripe for harvest."
 
The thought of doing "P" is for People, with a focus on the FUM theme, came to me a few weeks ago - which explains why I rushed through my "M," "N" & "O" posts so that I would be ready for "P." As I took notes during sessions I thought I might write a bit about some of that, but I'm sticking with my original thought of focusing on the people that were there.
 
Friends listening
First, I was amazed when I took a look at the list of those registered for Triennial - I knew so many Friends, about 25% of those attending. I pulled off the list and started to highlight those Friends I knew in color - and when I mentioned this to a new Friend last weekend, I found he had done the same! But as the weekend progressed and I started having conversations with Friends, I found that I actually knew a lot more than I had thought - maybe closer to 40%. And now, after 3 1/2 days with nearly 300 Friends . . . I expect the number of them that I know and have had conversations & connections with is closer to 75%, or more!
 

Irish & American Friends
in conversation
Now to get back to the theme "A Great People to be Gathered" - those gathered came from several countries, mostly around the United States but we also had two Friends from Cuba and a visiting Friend from Ireland, The Irish Friend was one that I had met while I was in Ireland on Pilgrimage last summer and it was great to see and talk with my Irish Friend Charles again and get some more Irish hugs.
 

Discussion after the
Johnson Lecture
It wasn't just 'people' who gathered, but 'Friends' who gathered . . . for business sessions; celebrating Global Ministries; approving & welcoming three new Yearly Meetings (in Africa) & a new Association (from the United States) into FUM membership; dialogue; devotions & worship; singing of hymns & music; the Johnson Lecture; shopping - in the FUM Bookstore & the Global Market; workshops; a memorial - to remember those Friends who had died since the last Triennial Session; a movie with popcorn (where were the chocolate covered raisins???); conversation; meals . . . and Friends gathered - to learn, to share, in Christ, in community and to learn more about FUM missions.
 

Friends Gathered . . .
in Community
I had opportunities to have a lot of amazing conversations with not only Friends I knew well but also with some that I really only knew through Facebook, emails & phone conversations and a lot of new Friends. Conversations while waiting in line for meals, during meals, walking from here to there, during free time, while waiting for sessions to begin or after they ended, while volunteering in the Bookstore and during worship sharing group time.

Friends after Sunday
morning worship


I made connections with Friends just by learning what Monthly or Yearly Meeting they belonged to . . . now those where fun! Monthly & Yearly Meetings where I knew Friends or ones that I had connections because of Friends Committee on Scouting awards/recognitions. I sat with different Friends during the 3 1/2 days I was at Triennial - during sessions, workshops and meals. I made connections just in having conversations with Friends.
 
My roommate was from Kenya! The other two Friends that we shared our suite with, well one was working in the Bookstore selling old Quaker books and the other is the Pastor at a Friends Meeting not too far from mine that I've met this last year.
 
Music
A Friend I met last July at the USFWI/QMI Triennial (United Society of Friends Women International/Quaker Men International) posted to my Facebook page the week before Triennial asking me if I was attending. I replied back that I was and she said she was looking for a ride from Triennial down to Indianapolis to catch a bus up to Chicago on Sunday afternoon and asked if I had room for her. Well of course I did. It was nice to have someone, other than myself & the radio, to talk to on the way home. We found the bus stop and had a couple of hours until her bus would be there and so we found a Taco Bell where we enjoyed some sweets, a drink and more conversation.
 

Peace Panel
For me this was a new experience, as I had never attended an FUM Triennial before, but I found parts of it to be similar to the USFWI/QMI Triennial that I volunteered at last July.
 
Another phrase was used during the Triennial: 'Energizing, Equipping and Connecting Friends in Global Partnership.' After all was said and done . . . I not only feel Energized, Equipped and Connected to Friends on a Global level, but I also felt that we were "A Great People (Friends) to be Gathered: in Christ, in Community, for Mission."
 
Friends after worship
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
Recipes for the letter "P" are plentiful! So choosing was really tough to limit myself here. So Peanut Blossoms - great any time of the year, but always have to have these at Christmas. Poultry Stuffing or Dressing - make large batches of this, it's totally awesome, and for Thanksgiving - I have made like 6 times the recipe . . . leftovers are always good to have! And since I've got the stuffing/dressing for Thanksgiving gotta have Pumpkin Roll . . . Sorry, I know that Thanksgiving is an American Holiday, couldn't help myself . . .
 
Peanut Blossoms
(makes 48 cookies)
1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup margarine
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup creamy peanut butter
½ teaspoon salt
1 large egg
½ cup white sugar + some for rolling cookies in
2 Tablespoons milk
½ cup light brown sugar (packed)
1 teaspoon vanilla
48 milk chocolate candy kisses (or stars)
 
Preheated oven to 350˚ F.  Ungreased cookie sheets.
Combine all ingredients except candy in large bowl. Mix till dough forms - will be stiff. Shape dough into balls, using rounded teaspoon for each. Roll balls in white sugar; place on cookie sheets.
 
Bake for 8-10 minutes. Top each cookie immediately with a chocolate Kiss; press down firmly so cookie cracks around edge.
 
 
Poultry Stuffing or Dressing
(for 5-6 pound chicken)
4 cups stale bread
1 ½ cup stock - can use fresh or canned
4 Tablespoon butter  or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
¼ cup celery, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon onion, grated
1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
1 large egg, slightly beaten
sage to taste
 
Remove crusts (if desired) and cut in cubes (toast) and add seasonings. Mix lightly with fork. Melt butter (margarine) in stock (or water). Toss lightly with bread being careful that it does not become soggy. Add rest of seasonings.
 
Triple recipe for a 12-15 pound turkey.
 
Bake in covered casserole about 1 hour.
 
Can be use with others meats also.
 
If desired, cook giblets till tender and put them through grinder and add to dressing.
 
 
Pumpkin Roll
3 large eggs
1 cup white sugar
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
 
Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line jelly roll pan with wax paper.
 
Beat eggs 5 minutes on high. Add sugar, pumpkin and lemon juice. Mix well. Add flour baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Mix. Pour in jelly roll pan (11x15x1 inch pan). If you want, top with 1 cup chopped nuts.
 
Bake 15 minutes. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Turn out on cloth (woven cotton dish towel works well) and roll cake and towel up till cool – unroll and fill.
 
Filling:
1 pound powdered sugar
4 Tablespoons butter or margarine
½ teaspoon vanilla
6 ounces cream cheese
 
Mix till creamy. Spread on cake and roll. Wrap in saran wrap. If freeze, wrap over in foil. Store in refrigerator.



No comments:

Post a Comment