Total Pageviews

Friday, October 11, 2013

Prayer Shawl Ministry . . .

"And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi,
Let me now go to the field,
and glean ears of corn after him
In whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter."
Ruth 2:2  KJV


My first 'Prayer Shawl'
for a Girl Scout Friend
I first heard about prayer shawls through the Facebook postings of one of my younger cousins who was making them. As she finished each one she would post a picture of it on her Facebook page. The more she posted the more interested I got . . . I loved the colors and the patterns. I asked questions and I did a web search to find out more about this idea.
 
What I found out was there's a whole 'prayer shawl ministry' going on out there! There are knitting, crocheting, sewing, quilting and Church groups all over the world making and giving prayer shawls. The prayer shawls are used as an 'aid,' a way of recognizing a space as sacred. That is the prayer shawls are used as a physical aid when praying - much like some use prayer beads and candles. And as one makes or creates a prayer shawl by sewing, knitting, crocheting or weaving it - prayers are said for the person they will be giving it to.

The prayer shawl is given to remind the recipient of God's love and blessings and that someone is praying for and with them. Prayer shawls are given to the sick, the grieving, to members of confirmation classes, to the young and old alike . . . to anyone that the maker feels could use it's comforting hugs, prayers and encouragement.

Second Prayer Shawl
for my oldest daughter
Prayer shawls come in all sizes, shapes and colors. They are usually large enough to wrap around one's shoulders or drape over one's head - and thus 'create' a sacred space in which to meditate or pray. Some shawls are large enough that an adult can wrap themselves and their child inside of it. Others are small so that they are manageable by someone whose arm strength isn't what it used to be - small enough that they can easily be used by the elderly . . . finding comfort in chilly drafts as well as a comforting space where they are reminded of God, His blessings and the prayers of others - a space where they can also find encouragement. I think of it as a way of giving hugs . . . as they wrap the shawl around their shoulders they are wrapped up in a hug from God.
 
OK, so this sounded like a really great idea and something that I could do . . . I was 'hooked' literally! I've been knitting since I was about 7 years old and crocheting nearly as long - I took knitting in 4-H and my Grandma Meller (my mom's mother) was a big help with all my knitting projects, my mom - not so much. Many of my knitting projects needed a bit of crocheting around the edges, to finish them off, and so it was off to grandmas' house for help. I've always said that 'My grandma taught me enough about crocheting to get me into trouble!' In college I made a ton of 'granny squares' . . . they were so addictive! They're in a bag or box somewhere . . . never did figure out how to put them all together! Like I said, my grandma taught me enough to get me into trouble!
 

Third Prayer Shawl for
Quaker Haven Camp
Counselor Friend
So I found a pattern for a crocheted shawl that I liked and some really soft fluffy yarn that spoke to me. Now those of you reading this, those of you that really know me, are thinking 'Did she just say crochet pattern? Is she crazy?' Yes, I'm crocheting, not knitting or sewing/quilting, my prayer shawls. And no, I'm not crazy! I was ready to get started, as soon as I got out my crochet hook. The yarn that 'spoke to me,' well I've spoken to it several times this last year, it's not easy to work with . . . but I absolutely love the way it works out - it's so soft, fluffy, light weight and I just love the pattern that unfolds with the variegated yarn. The more I use it the more I just love it, and yes, we still have our occasional conversations!

I made my first prayer shawl last fall for one of my Girl Scout Friends who was recovering from shoulder replacement surgery in another State, hoping that it would bring her some comfort and that she would feel the gentle hugs. Shortly after I finished that one, I made one for my oldest daughter who was expecting her first child, my first grandchild, for a bit of encouragement to go with the hugs. Next, for a Friend and fellow counselor from Quaker Haven Camp, just because she came to my mind and I knew that she too could always use some encouragement and hugs. Then there's my Friend who took time this Spring to help me when she had so much else going on herself, but she still found time to help and encourage me - I knew through our conversations that she needed prayers, encouragement and hugs, too, so I made a prayer shawl for her. And the last one I made was for another one of my Girl Scout Friends, she had done a lot for me a few years ago that meant a lot to me, and she has been very helpful to me over the years, and I thought she could use the prayers and hugs.

Fourth Prayer Shawl
for a Friend
who helped me
As I crocheted these  prayer shawls I not only said specific prayers for each of my Friends and my daughter, but I also found myself spending a lot of time thinking about each of them as well. Thoughts about how and where we meet. Things we had done and are doing together. What lead me to choose her? Why that color? How I hoped this prayer shawl and the prayers I said for each of them would affect them.
 
Early last month I was looking for another 'pick-up' project - one of those projects that I could take with me to work on when I went someplace and had to sit and wait or that I could work on while watching/listening to the TV. I had just purchased some more of the yarn that I have been using to make my prayer shawls, so I thought I start another one, for no one specific at the time. But I didn't get very far with it, only about six rows done and then it got put aside . . . other things came up that had to be done.

That is until I picked it up again a couple of days ago, as I now have a need to work on it so I can send it to another Friend. A new Friend, that I met briefly this Spring but got to know a bit more about as we spent time together this summer. I found out earlier this week that she's in the hospital and I wanted to send her some prayers, encouragement and HUGS. So I will be spending the next couple of days working on this one so I can get it finished and send it to her.

Fifth Prayer Shawl
for another
Girl Scout Friend
While one works on a prayer shawl, whether crocheted, knitted, sewn or woven, the stitcher says prayers for the person they are making it for. I've also read about the symbolism within the pattern(s) . . . most of the patterns are worked in threes - representing the Trinity - multiples of three stitches, spaces, triple crochet, rows in a pattern, or colors. With this in mind, a stitcher knows who she/he is making the prayer shawl for and offers prayers specific to that person and circumstances they may be going through at that time. This has been true for all the  prayer shawls that I have made.
 
Making prayer shawls is a spiritual practice which embodies many thoughts and prayers for the receiver. It is a gift that is freely given with no strings attached. Putting a price on a shawl defeats the purpose of the ministry, so they are not made for sale. There's a wonderful ministry in the making and giving of prayer shawls. It's a ministry of love, caring and encouragement. I've found it to be a way to be able to wrap far away Friends in hugs along with sending them prayers and encouragement . It's a ministry that blesses not only the recipient but the giver as well.
 
Before giving a prayer shawl away, the maker says a blessing, prayer or wish over the shawl, while keeping the receiver in mind. A short note explaining a bit about the prayer shawl and/or the blessing/prayer/wish is usually enclosed with the shawl. One might also explain the reason for a particular color used as well. 
 
The reasons for making each of the prayer shawls I've made has been as different as the Friends I've made them for. Although I may not have known when I first started this one exactly who it was for, seems that God knew I was going to need to make one and He knows how I struggle with the first couple of rows . . . so He gave me a head start.

Work in progress . . .

 
I am a bit disappointed this last month to find out that the yarn that I've been using for my prayer shawls, which is exclusive to one store that I shop at, was in their clearance sale. I've got a bit of a 'stash' built up, but at some point I will run out of this yarn and will have to look for something different to use.


1 comment:

I SHALL FIND GRACE said...

Update - only some colors of the yarn I like to use have been discontinued . . . and some new colors have been added! Still making shawls. I have an unofficial list of some F/friends I'd like to make them for . . . just looking for the time to sit down and do them. Maybe this winter when I'm stuck at home and don't have a quilting/sewing project to work on.

Post a Comment