Total Pageviews

Friday, October 18, 2013

Prayer is the Key . . .

"And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi,
Let me now go to the field,
and glean ears of corn after him
In whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter."
Ruth 2:2  KJV

Looking up at Blarney Castle
from the Fern Garden
Ireland
'Prayer is the key to heaven,
But faith unlocks the door.
Words are so easily spoken
A prayer without faith
Is like a boat without an oar.
Have faith when you speak to the Master
That's all He asks you for.
Yes prayer is the key to heaven
But faith unlocks the door.'


A gated door
Glendalough,
Ireland

This song has been playing in my head this week, and I've been trying to figure out why. I've loved this song since I learned it back when I was a member of the International Order of Rainbow for Girls*, but I don't remember ever thinking too much about it before, about the words that is.

So why is it in my head this week? What is it that I'm suppose to see in it? Why is it speaking to me now? And what does it mean? Wondering if it has anything to do with all the time I've spent focused in prayer for a specific Friend the last couple of weeks.


View across
the lower lake
Glendalough,
Ireland
I have a rather lengthy prayer list of F/friends, yes, I have an actual hand written list. I've been writing the names of both individuals and groups in my bulletin every Sunday morning, on the page that says 'Please Pray For.' I have written these names in my bulletin each week, usually before worship begins, and it gives me something to focus on during prayer time and throughout the coming week. And every now and again one or more of these F/friends rises above others on that list - which I either highlight or underline.
 

Creek at
Glendalough,
Ireland
One particular Friend has been on the top of this list now for nearly two weeks - seems as though I'm finding myself offering constant prayers for her. So I'm now wondering if this is why this song is in my head. Thinking that maybe it's time to think about the words to this song . . .
 
I know that prayer is a conversation with God, and if I have/put my faith in God, He will answer my prayers. And as the song says 'but faith unlocks the door.' It's my faith, or my belief in God, my belief that He is listening to me and that He will answer my prayers that's the key. My words are just words but they become a prayer when I have the faith that God is listening to me . . . listening to my words, listening to my prayers. If I don't have faith in God and faith that He is listening when I pray then my words are just words - they don't have any meaning. So if I believe and have faith I will receive the key. The key that opens the door to heaven and to God for me.

Open gate . . .
in the Fern Garden,
Blarney Castle,
Ireland
I have faith and I believe in God. I believe that He listens to my prayers and the prayers of others. He answers them . . . in His time and in His way. At times I may think He's not listening, that He doesn't care about me and my concerns, but He does. I may not always like the way God answers my prayers and I may not understand why He answers them the way He does or His timing. But He does answer them . . . I just need to be listening.
 
. . . it's all a part of His plan.
 
I leave you with the following scriptures that came to mind as I've worked on this post . . .
 
 
"And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive."
Matthew 21:22 NKJV 
 
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
Hebrews 11:1 NIV
 
"And now abideth faith, hope and charity, these three;
but the greatest of these is charity."
1 Corinthians 13:13 KJV
 

 
 
* The International Order of Rainbow for Girls is one of the two Masonic organizations for young girls, the other being Jobs Daughters. I was a member of St. Joseph Assembly #83 in South Bend, Indiana.
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment