Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 22, 2014

"M" is for Mud . . .

"And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi,
Let me now go to the field,
and glean ears of corn after him
In whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter."
Ruth 2:2  KJV

"M" is for 'Mud' or I suppose that I could have said muddy!

The original "Sandy Spring"
Back in April, thirteen members of Friends Committee on Scouting gathered on the Campus of Sandy Spring Friends School, in Sandy Spring, Maryland, for our Annual Meeting and 25th Anniversary Celebration. I had an amazing time, I hope the other members did as well. The fun, fellowship, food, laughter, stories, photo ops and yes, the picking on one another or teasing as some might call it . . . all in good fun.
 
Well, everything was going just fine . . . until Sunday morning! Yeah, wait until Sunday morning . . .

One of the 'mud' obstacles . . .
this was the easy one
to get around
The plan was to take a "leisurely two mile hike through the woods, part of the Underground Railroad trail, past the original Sandy Spring to the historical Sandy Spring Meeting House for Meeting for Worship." What our host didn't figure on was the rain, or was it the recent snow . . . that left areas of the path a bit sloppy!


Sandy Spring
Friends Meeting House
A comment made by one of my Scouting Friends, upon hearing that we'd be sleeping on wrestling mats in the gym at Sandy Spring Friends School that weekend was "I am so pleased we will be sleeping on mats. John Woolman would approve." I haven't quite figured that comment out yet. But I'm wondering 'WWGFS?' and 'WWLB-PS?' OK, I would hope that Quaker Scouters and even Quaker Guiders would be able to figure those two out, but just in case you are neither, or your brain just isn't getting it . . . 'What Would George Fox Say?' and 'What Would Lord Baden-Powell Say?' You won't lose any Brownie Points with me if you didn't figure it out for yourself! That is, what would they have to say about our hiking though the woods and through the mud, to get to Meeting for Worship? OK, only four of us actually hiked through the woods to get to Meeting . . . and we were met by four more that drove.
 
So, yes, "M" is for 'Mud,' a muddy hike through the woods to get to Meeting for Worship . . . with my Scouting Friends . . . a perfect end to an amazing weekend!
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Now for a couple of  recipes . . . Molasses Spice Cookies are another one of those cookies my Mom only made for Christmas, which was a shame cause they were really good. The second recipe I've included for Mom's Apple Sauce Bread we had from time to time, sorry as I have no clue who "Mom" is . . . I know it's not my Mom, but it could have been her mother or just a recipe that she copied from somewhere that was called that. Enjoy!

Molasses Spice Cookies
(makes 60 cookies)
 
½ cup shortening (white shortening, like Crisco)
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
1 large egg, beaten
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon ground mace
¼ cup molasses (mild)
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
½ teaspoon ground ginger
 
Preheat oven to 375˚ F.  Ungreased cookie sheets.
 
Cream shortening, add sugar gradually. Add egg. Mix soda with molasses and add to creamed mixture. Gradually add flour sifted with salt and spices. Put thru cookie press. Top with colored worms.
 
Bake for 8 minutes.
 
OK, those not from the US might think I've lost all  my marbles with this, but 'worms' is what we always called them when I was a kid, I know that some people put them on ice cream - I think the name I've seen them go by is 'sprinkles.' They're small tubular multi-colored candies that are sold in the grocery stores around here for decorating cookies . . . they add some festive color to these cookies. But I've got a new idea to try, next time I make a batch of these . . . chopped up glace ginger!

 
Mom’s Apple Sauce Bread
 
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
¾ cups sugar 
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 ½ cups apple sauce
2 Tablespoons shortening, melted (white shortening - like Crisco)
1 large egg

Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Grease  an  8"x4” or 9"x5” loaf pan. If using glass, turn down to 325˚ F.

Sift together dry ingredients. Beat egg into apple sauce. Add dry ingredients and melted shortening. Nuts may be added if desired.

Bake 1 hour.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment