Total Pageviews

Monday, April 21, 2014

'I' is for Ireland Yearly Meeting . . .

"And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi,
Let me now go to the field,
and glean ears of corn after him
In whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter."
Ruth 2:2  KJV

"I" is for 'Ireland Yearly Meeting.' Yep, I had this idea written down way back in January, before deciding for sure that I was going to participate in the Quaker Alphabet blog challenge this year - and as I got closer to needing to write a blog on the letter "I" I thought no, that was last year and what would I say? But as I sat here yesterday afternoon, trying to work on another idea that had come to me this last week for "I," I saw this idea written down . . . and I was drawn to it. Why? Because Ireland Yearly Meeting will be meeting this week . . . and my Irish Friends have been on my mind a lot recently. OK, they've been on my mind since we met last July . . .
 
So, this will be short and sweet . . . OK, we'll just have to wait and see how much the Spirit moves me, or should I say moves my fingers.

Breakfast at Dean's Hall
Ireland Yearly Meeting, last year, was held at St. John's College in Cork, Ireland, for the first time, and was 'residential.' We were housed in Dean's Hall . . . and it was quite the walk over to the college for the Yearly Meeting sessions and back. We'd have breakfast in our flat or apartment before heading out for the day.
 
I remember the food. A family catered lunch and dinner for us during Yearly Meeting, in the small cafeteria. They were delightful! I was always asking what it was and the father and daughter always told me. We had lasagna one night for dinner and it was so good - I went back and asked the father if I could have just a half a slice more . . . he gave me a really bad time for only wanting a little more, so instead, he gave me another whole piece - this one nearly twice the size of the original piece! And yes, I ate it all, it was so good! I also remember the soups and sandwiches, lots of sandwiches! We went through the line to get our food and then could choose to sit at one of the tables inside or go outside and sit at on of the picnic tables. The weather was so nice that I ate outside often. I tried not to eat with the same Friends twice, although sometimes that was difficult.

Tea at Cork Meeting House
Tea time was another awesome opportunity to sit with other Friends and get into interesting conversations, although brief, as I believe tea time was only about 30 minutes long. Once in the morning between sessions, again between sessions in the afternoon and again in the evening. It was an opportunity to stretch and to get a cup of tea (or coffee) and some biscuits . . . YUMMMMMM!
Friends relaxing at
Blarney Castle
Then there was Friday afternoon and the 'field trips!' Elizabeth and I went to Blarney Castle with a Friend from the Netherlands and three Irish Friends. Four of us ventured up all 126 or so steps to the top of Blarney Castle, but only two of us got down on our backs and kissed the Blarney Stone . . . the Friend from the Netherlands and I . . . the two who needed all that blarney the least!


'Choir' at the Talent Show
I took a bit of a break, and tried to delete more pictures and stuff off my tablet, to free up some much needed space on it, and I ran across some video clips that I made during Ireland Yearly Meeting last year. Specifically clips from the singing workshop that I attended - oh my! Yes, singing hymns in English and trying to sing them in Irish! That was indeed one of the highlights for me. But then someone leading the group thought it would be good for us to sing during the talent show on Saturday night! And sing we did . . . in both English and Irish and even managed to get some of the audience to sing along with us. What an experience that all was! Tried to include one here, but it won't work.
 
Other memories of Ireland Yearly Meeting . . . the Bible studies, Market Place, workshops, bat hike, lecture by Julia, and the epilogues by candlelight each evening . . .

Friends enjoying their tea
and conversation outside at
Cork Meeting House
So, to all MY IRISH FRIENDS . . . you're on my mind this week, and always. I'm praying for you, all the time, but especially this week as many of you will be traveling this week to Dublin for your Yearly Meeting sessions. Prayers for safe travels to and from. Prayers for good business sessions. Prayers for all that you do.
 
I may not be with you this year in person, but know that I am with you . . . taking time to sip a cup of tea and have some biscuits.
 
I was so blessed to be encouraged by a Friend to go on this Pilgrimage to Ireland and Northern Ireland with her and other Friends last summer. Blessed with grants from PYM IOGG and FWCC Travel in the Ministry Grant Committee for additional funds that made it possible for me to concentrate on the Pilgrimage/the journey and not have to worry so much about funding. Blessed to have had the opportunity to get to know a few Friends better and meet and spend time on this journey with several new Friends. Blessed to have met Friends from England, the Netherlands, Sweden and Germany. Blessed to have been so warmly greeted, accepted and loved by my new Irish Friends. And to all of you I say . . .

Thanks for all the memories . . .
 
Love, HUGS and Blessings to each of you,
 
Luanne


I was surprised to find several recipes that began with the letter "I" that I could post here. I'll share one here, and another with my other "I" post . . .

Italian Beef Casserole
(6-8 servings)
2 pound ground beef
½ cup onion, chopped
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup green pepper, chopped
3-8 ounce cans tomato sauce
parsley flakes
8 ounce package wide noodles, cooked
1 pound carton cottage cheese
½ teaspoon oregano

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease 3 quart casserole.

Brown ground beef and onion in skillet and pour off excess drippings. Combine green pepper, salt, oregano and tomato sauce; add to meat mixture.

Place ½ noodles in bottom of casserole and top with ½  cottage cheese. Spread ½ meat mixture over cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with parsley.

Bake 30-35 minutes.

Divide in half and use two 10x6” dish.

Can freeze.




No comments:

Post a Comment