Total Pageviews

Friday, March 14, 2014

"G" is for Glass . . .

"And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi,
Let me now go to the field,
and glean ears of corn after him
In whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter."
Ruth 2:2  KJV

Mooresville
Friends
"G" is for 'Glass,' but more specifically 'stained glass.' This may be a bit of a touchy subject among some Friends/Quakers, due to the Quaker Testimony of simplicity, but there are those Meetings that do have some lovely stained glass windows in them for one reason or another. Some were built that way by Friends and others came about as some Friends Meeting may have purchased or occupied buildings that were built by other faith bodies.
 
Mooresville Friends Meeting does have several stained glass windows along the east and west walls and one off to the right side on the north wall of the Meetingroom. Actually, except for the windows in the two sets of doors on the south side of the Meeting House and the choir room and the Noah's Ark room all of the windows in the Meeting House are stained glass. Although the stained glass windows in the Sunday School wing & basement (below the Sunday School wing) are just full sheets of a kind of 'marbled' looking stained glass. These let in light and add a bit of privacy without the need for curtains or other window coverings.

'Good Shepherd'
above the altar at
Zion UCC
The stained glass windows in the Meetingroom have been cut and pieced together and are very 'simple' unlike the stained glass windows that I grew up seeing every Sunday as a child growing up and attending Zion United Church of Christ, in South Bend, Indiana USA. Now those were, and still are to me, some awesome stained glass windows! Hummmm, after visiting the website for Zion UCC, this may lead to another blog post . . . just on those stained glass windows, because I just learned an interesting fact about one of them that I never knew before! Wonder why it was never mentioned???

I find myself looking at the windows in the Meetingroom at different times during worship - during our Centering Down period, Communion in the Manner of Friends, towards the end of worship and sometimes during the morning Message. Sometimes they're a welcome distraction . . . something to focus on and rest my mind..
 
I do love looking at stained glass windows - the ones from my childhood have to be my all time favorites, but looking through the colored class and the reflections that they make on the walls and carpet are always interesting to me. There use to be a show on our local PBS TV channel showing how to make various items out of stained glass . . . but I think that is a bit much for me, don't think I'd be good at breaking the glass in just the right place! So instead I'll make quilts . . . they are a bit like stained glass . . . little bits and pieces of color.


OK, a couple more recipes to follow, some letters will be a bit more of a challenge than 'G' as this is easy. Again some of my favorites from my childhood!

Green Bean Casserole

2 - 15 ounce cans green beans, drained
1 can Campbell's cream of mushroom soup (or any creamed soup)
1/2 can milk
1 can (small size) French fried onions

Combine soup and milk, add drained green beans and 1/3 of the French friend onions. Pour into casserole dish. Bake covered in 325 degree F oven for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and sprinkle the rest of the onions on top and return to the oven for 5 minutes.


Gingerbread
 
Mooresville
Friends

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup oleo (margarine)
1 egg, large
1 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1 Tablespoon ginger, ground
1/2 teaspoon cloves, ground
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot water

Sift dry ingredients together. Mix into egg mixture alternately with the hot water. Bake at 375 degrees F until tester is clean.


Mooresville Friends





No comments:

Post a Comment