Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 12, 2014

"A" is for Academy . . .

"And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi,
Let me now go to the field,
and glean ears of corn after him
In whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter."
Ruth 2:2  KJV

 
OK, I'm gonna join in on the "2014 Quaker Alphabet Blogging!" I hope I can do this justice! I'm planning to put my own crazy Quaker spin on this series of blog posts, so here goes . . .

For the letter "A" I have chosen 'Academy.' Now, if you're from Mooresville, Indiana, USA, or close by, enough said - you know exactly what I'm talking about. For the rest of you, I've got some explaining to do . . . trust me 'Academy' has a Quaker meaning, at least around Mooresville!

I guess I should go ahead and give you the full name before I go any further . . . Mooresville Friends Academy Building, most locals will just call it the Academy Building. So will this count for A & B???? Just kidding, I've got another idea for B! So, on with some local Mooresville Quaker history . . .

Mooresville Friends
Academy Building
(front view)
In 1860 a five acre track of land was purchased on which a school would be built, I assume the land was purchased by White Lick Monthly Meeting of Friends. The Academy Building was built by members of the Religious Society of Friends in 1861. It was the first high school built in central Indiana, and became the beginning of what is now the Mooresville Community School system.
 
In the beginning it was a boarding academy, with students renting rooms from area residents - I expect many of those may have been Quaker families. The Academy was used for students of all grades through 1971.

In 1870 the Academy Building and land was sold to the town of Mooresville for $5,000, which I'm sure was quite a large sum of money at the time. And interestingly, this was refunded with interest to the town! Now who does that? At this point the Academy became Indiana's only privately funded school open to public education.

On May 12, 1975 the Academy Building was placed on the State AND National Registers of Historic Places.

In 2000, the Academy Building was restored and rededicated by the Community Foundation of Morgan County with a grant from Eli Lilly (yes, the pharmaceutical company) and donations from the community.

Mooresville Friends Academy Building
(north side)
Today, the 'Academy of Hoosier Heritage' museum can be found on the second floor of the historical Academy Building (three windows on the left) showcasing exhibits on Mooresville and Indiana history. The museum hosts special exhibits from time to time - several years ago they had a special exhibit on Girl Scout history. A fun part of the museum is the full-size historical classroom (two windows on the right) complete with antique desks, books and toys. Every Spring I know that at least the 4th grade students in the Mooresville School Corporation take a field trip over to the Academy Building, Indiana 4th graders study Indiana history, they attend 'class,' visit the museum and participate in several pioneer games and activities outside, weather permitting. Many of the students enjoy 'dressing up' for their visit to the Academy Building!
 
The Community Foundation of Morgan County's offices are located on the first floor across the back of the building (two windows on the right). The majority of the first floor is the Emily Carolyn Mills Room - a good size community room (three windows on the left). The Emily Carolyn Mills Room is endowed for use by local non-profits and charitable organizations. I'll note here that Emily was a member of Mooresville Friends Meeting and an attorney, working in the Morgan County Prosecutors Office. So a Friend that I knew rather well. A group of local quilters, not the quilting group from Mooresville Friends Meeting - to which I belong, meets in this room on a regular basis.
 
There is also a basement to this building, I don't believe I've been down there. The area to the left, on the side view photo) with all the brick is where the front stairways are - one off to the left and one off to the right. If I remember right one was up and the other down - rather narrow stairway with shallow steps going to the second floor. One stairway going down to the basement. There is also a back stairway that goes from the Community Foundations office up to the classroom area.
 
The Academy Building is about a block and a half north of the Mooresville Friends Meetinghouse, which was built in 1870.
 

* In 1997 the Meeting officially changed it's name to Mooresville Friends Church/White Lick Monthly Meeting.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment