Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Ministry in Story and Song . . .

"And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi,
Let me now go to the field,
and glean ears of corn after him
In whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter."
Ruth 2:2  KJV

Building where storytelling
program was held in
Derry/Londonderry
Last night after dinner I joined one of the local Friends and went to a storytelling program, just down from the Bed & Breakfast we were staying at. Now, it had been a long day for me already as we had driven up from Moyallon all the way to Derry, with a few stops along the way, and this program was to go until 11pm, but I went anyway.

It was a delightful couple of hours of international stories and songs. I quite enjoyed myself and was so glad I had gone. This was put on by the 'Storytellers of Ireland,' and they did a wonderful job. The rest of the Friends I was traveling with had gone back to the Bed & Breakfast and were all asleep by the time I returned.

Storytelling is an art and I will admit that it's not easy, it takes time and lots of practice but the rewards are priceless!

I couldn't help but to jot down some of the comments made during the program:

Banner that was on
 the stage
One of the singers was asked to share at a storytelling event and he said he didn't tell stories and the person that asked him said:  'There's a story in every song.' This is so true, songs are stories put to music.

One of the storytellers said that storytelling is 'passing on the memory of those you heard the story from.' I think we do this more than we think we do. We pass down stories not only though our families but though our Meetings as well. Just think about it for a minute.

What stories have you shared lately? And with whom? Why not take some time this week and share a story or  a song or two with your family or with Friends.

I will leave you with a few lines from one of the songs that was sung:

'Happy are we all together,
Happy are we one and all.'




No comments:

Post a Comment